This is the crowd outside my house right now because I just completed the Sassy Librarian Blouse.
I actually thought it would end up hanging on my dress form for some weeks because I knew I had to correct that gaping back neck, which meant unpicking both topstitching and the seam line. Groan.
But by the power of greyskull I did it!
(That's He-Man in case you didn't know).
So here is my 'fruity' take on the Sassy Librarian Blouse.
Despite his cool photoshoot yesterday, Mr Szabo was too cold to spend any time photographing my new blouse, so here's me against a tree outside our flat.
The fabric is a kitsch cherry print and the trim (arm bands and bow) is a navy fabric with a strawberry print. I got both from Rolls & Rems (Lewisham).
I chose some light brown plastic buttons, which although not very clear in the pic, finish the blouse off nicely.
There's a back shot of the two darts I added to resolve the neck gaping. It wasn't the crappy job I thought it would be. I literally just unpicked the seam, found the centre and then played with dart widths either side. In the end I ended up with having to take in a whopping 3 1/2 inches. I then took that amount from the facing and sewed it all back up. It looks a bit wrinkly on the back shot but that's the effect from the release pleats at the waist.
And voila, a new blouse and the first me-made item that's going on the road trip to Graceland. The countdown starts as to how many garments I can squeeze in before the 26th July!
Um, yeah, as we all know MAKE A FRICKING MUSLIN. Don't think, "oh this would be nice for the London sewing meet up. I'm sure it will fit." Nope. It won't. It will gape like a clown's pocket on the back neck. So yeah, make a muslin FOR EVERYTHING.
Don't be frightened to add extra darts that aren't in the pattern. They can invariably make for an added design feature as well as a good fit!